You’re sitting in class and go to pull your hair up before your big exam, and your hair tie snaps. You reach in your bag to grab a new one and a pencil, and they’re both gone from where you let your BFF borrow them last week. At the same time you realize your lips are chapped, your stomach is growling, you still haven’t started your exam, and now you start to panic….This is a true story. I’ve been there – more than once.
Enter: the Back To School Essentials Kit.
This rescue pouch has saved me on so many occasions. Usually I have most, if not all, of these items in my purse, but who wants to carry a purse AND a backpack around all day… NOT THIS GIRL. So I keep these staple items stored in a cute little zipper pouch and just pull it out of my purse, drop it in my backpack, and I’m out the door to class.
So what’s inside and why?
- Clear Lip Balm and a Tinted Lip Balm
- Hair Tie or 2
- Roller Ball Perfume
- Hand Sanitizer
- Hand Lotion
- Medicine For Headaches, Stomach Issues, and Periods
- Extra Pen/Pencil
- Period Items (liner,wipes,tampons)
- Granola or Protein Bar
- Water Bottle*
*Obviously these two don’t fit in the clutch, but they’re still essential!
I make sure to only pick items that are vital and that I tend to reach for regularly, otherwise I’ll bring everything I can get my hands on. My motto for class is “You Never Know…” You never know when your period will start 3 days early, or when your hands will feel dry, or your hair tie will snap, or when hunger will strike, or when you’ll get to class a half hour early because miraculously there was no traffic on Tuesday. I like to be prepared for any situation (ex-Girl Scout here) and this Essentials Kit is the solution to all of my problems.
The only item I feel the need to really explain is my iPad. I would rather have it in my bag and be able to catch up on some blog reading (they’re my magazines), quickly put some ideas in a draft post, reply to my notifications, etc. without the weight of my computer. Some days I will toss my current novel in my bag instead, but I’ve recently fallen in love with my iPad2 again.
Why do I love this kit SO much?
- It can be customized. You can have a couple of pouches- one for makeup and beauty, one for medicine, one for misc. – or just one overall zipper pouch.
- It’s versatile. It switches easily between bags and needs. Drop it in your gym bag and you have everything you could need for your workout, or your purse and you have everything you could need for a trip to the mall and froyo.
- It’s handy. I’ve never regretted carrying it. I’m never the girl (anymore) asking for a tampon in class, but I CAN be the person who helps her out and make a new friend in the process.
- It’s inexpensive. Most of these items are things I already have in my bathroom, but travel-sized items can be purchased from any Target, Walmart, or drugstore (maybe even the dollar store).
If you are going to create one of these cute, little Back To School Essential Kits, make sure to consider the things you may need and what works best with your schedule. Don’t forget to refill/replace items as you use them! And remember, you can create one of these for yourself, no matter who you are. I just grabbed mine this week to make sure it has everything I need for the start of my final semester of school. I take it to work, the gym, to class, the pool… it NEVER leaves my bag.